Library Use Policy for Patrons
Use of the library and/or its materials constitutes acceptance of the terms set forth in this document.
The following policies have been developed in order to foster a safe and civil environment for both library patrons and library staff of Cunningham Memorial Library. Violations of any of these guidelines may result in individuals or groups being asked to leave the library, or in more serious cases, requesting assistance from campus police.
ISU students, staff and faculty have priority use of the building and its resources. ALL patrons are expected to abide by the following guidelines.
- Do not engage in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local, or other applicable law or library policy.
- Do not consume or possess alcohol, illegal drugs, or be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Do not bring animals and pets into the library, service animals excepted.
- Do not violate the Indiana State University Code of Student Conduct (pertains to current ISU students).
- Offenses Against Persons
- Maintain acceptable personal hygiene. Persons with odor offensive enough to constitute a nuisance to others will be asked to leave the library.
- Do not behave in a disruptive or potentially harmful manner. Do not harass or speak abusively to other library users or to library staff. Obey the library noise policy.
- Do not carry or display weapons.
- Do not engage in sexual activity of any kind or engage in sexual harassment or indecent exposure.
- Do not block walkways, exits, or entrances, leave belongings unattended, or monopolize library space with excess personal belongings.
- Offenses Detrimental to the Operation of the University
- Refrain from solicitation of any kind or for any purpose without prior approval of the Library Dean.
- Offenses Against Property
- Do not tamper with, damage, or destroy library facilities, materials, or equipment.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Do not smoke, chew, or use tobacco in the library.
- Use library furniture, equipment, and materials for their intended function.
- Use restrooms only for their intended purpose. Bathing and laundering are prohibited.
- Leave the library at the designated closing times or upon request from library personnel or ISU Public Safety Officers.
- Do not use library furniture as bedding.
- Do not trespass in nonpublic areas or be in the library without permission of an authorized library employee before or after library operating hours.
- Minors; Adults with Unique Needs
- Minors (persons under 18 years of age) are not allowed in the building unless under direct adult supervision. The supervising adult is responsible for the behavior and safety of minors. Exception: minors with an ISU-issued ID.
- Adults who cannot care for themselves must be monitored by their caregivers.
- Personal Belongings
- The Library is not responsible for belongings left in/on Library property.
- Items left unattended may be sent to Lost and Found.
- Computer Use
- Do not occupy more than one computer workstation at a time.
- Do not sleep at public workstations.
- Do not hold computer workstations for future use.
Rev. December 2012