Library Administrative Affairs Committee
November 7, 2007
Present: A. Kaiser, A. Comer (ex-officio), E. Symonds, J. Eubanks, E. Lorenzen, G. Garvey (staff representative)
I. Meeting called to order
II. Charges for LAAC
A. General charge to fulfill duties of committee as per Library Constitution & bylaws
B. Charges tabled for later discussion
1. Produce calendar for 2008-09 academic year (tabled)—to be emailed later for discussion
2. Complete sections of PTOC document (tabled)
3. Review policy documents in Academic Affairs/Library Services/USR/LIBGRPS/LIBUSERS/ policies folder (tabled)
C. Charges to be discussed today
1. Digital/Institutional Repository
Motion to endorse researching the creation of digital repository; motion seconded
Discussion: need to look at financial, technological, and staffing issues—write brief paper on what needs to be addressed; how to work with other university departments;
Elizabeth and Emily to meet Friday (11/10) to put together brief paper outlining what needs to be addressed when considering topic
2. Information Technology literacy standards
Discuss standards and send recommendation to LFA; statement to be written by Anthony regarding library’s involvement
Motion to approve standards
3. Examine the possibility of revising the fines policy
What needs to be revised? Concern that faculty/staff don’t pay fines;
$40 fee for “lost” materials plus $8 processing fee—average cost for books and media are higher; should there be replacement costs for certain materials?
Anthony will distribute current fees, and committee will discuss revisions at next meeting.
III. Announcement from Acting Dean
Library will change hours in Spring 2008
Sunday-Thursday open until 2 a.m.
IV. Meeting adjourned at 1:48 p.m.