STATE UNIVERSITY

Library Faculty Assembly

 

LFA 04/05-03                                                                         Approved: 11/4/04

October 7, 2004, 8:30 a.m.

Room 028

 

 

Present: Steve Hardin, Betsy Hine, Anthony Kaiser, David Kaunelis, Juliet Kerico, Elizabeth Lorenzen, Cinda May, Christopher Mehrens

Absent: Karen Evans

Ex-Officio: Myrna McCallister, Alberta Comer, Rolland McGiverin, Deb Taylor

Guests: Kathleen Gaul

 

 

            I.     Call to order and approval of agenda

 

Chair Betsy Hine called the meeting to order at 8:34 a.m.  The agenda was approved. 

 

          II.     Approval of minutes (September 2, 2004)

 

David Kaunelis moved, and Christopher Mehrens seconded, approval of the minutes.  The minutes were approved. 

 

        III.     Recognition Awards previously part of LSG

 

Associate Dean Alberta Comer noted the impending departure of Rebecca Stinnett from the Circulation staff; all agreed we will miss her as well as her skill and experience. 

 

       IV.     Chair’s announcements/report

 

B. Hine reported she attended the Faculty Governance Chairs’ meeting September 30th, chaired by ISU Faculty Senate Chair Harriet Hudson.  The group consists of the chairs of the various governing bodies of ISU’s colleges and libraries.  Hudson asked that approved minutes be sent to the Senate Office.  The Senate’s Web page was discussed; Hudson noted the importance of each unit having a page compatible with the Senate’s.  She would like to come to one LFA meeting each year, and would also come more often if something required her input.  An evaluation of deans will be done every three years; at this point, only two deans have served that long.  


 

 

Hine also said all the LFA committees have been formed; a copy of the roster has been submitted.  We still need to know who the ex-officio representatives from Administration will be.  Myrna McCallister said she would forward that information to Hine. 

 

         V.     15-minute open discussion

 

A.    Banned Books Week

 

B. Hine raised a concern that no librarians were involved in the public reading of banned books during the observance last week, despite the fact that librarians had volunteered.  M. McCallister added her concern that the reading had been in the campus bookstore instead of the library.  We missed the boat, she said; we need to plan better in the future.  Juliet Kerico noted that the event’s organizer, Darlene Hantzis, never mentioned the event to her during their recent meetings.  A general discussion on the issue followed.  Hine wondered whether she should write a letter about it; McCallister cautioned against perhaps hurting relations with the event’s organizers.  D. Kaunelis suggested the Library could just offer its services for next year.  C. Mehrens recommended the Library should take the initiative, plan something for next year, and let them know – and if they want to come on board, they’re welcome.  Kerico suggested the library could host the event.  McCallister noted she had earlier thought of a “rockathon,” in which participants could rock rocking chairs while reading.  Hine noted that National Library Week is in April; perhaps we could do it then.  If we think of other people, maybe they will think of us.  McCallister and others commented that whatever we do for publicity, it never seems to be enough. 

 

B.    University Speakers Series videos

 

B. Hine noted Garrison Keillor spoke on campus this week.  She asked if the Library is still getting the videos of the talks.  J. Kerico, who is on the University Speakers Series Committee, said she would call Paula Meyer and find out who tapes it.  Perhaps they go to the Archives?  M. McCallister suggested creating two copies of the tapes, one for the Archives and one for the Library. 

 

       VI.     Remarks of the Dean of Library Services

 

M. McCallister announced the library is attempting to fill three faculty positions.  She said she learned the day before that if they don’t have the requisite forms in by Monday, the library won’t be able to do the search.  The University wants to do a consolidated ad in the Chronicle of Higher Education. She passed out a list of volunteers for the search committees.  She has drafted job descriptions; J. Kerico will convene an emergency meeting of the Library Administrative Affairs Committee to review them.  M. McCallister wants to talk with each committee chair.  B. Hine asked whether Cinda. May should chair the committee to hire a person she will supervise.  D. Kaunelis pointed out that Ralph Gabbard, the head of Reference/Instruction, chaired the committee that hired A. Kaiser last year. 

 

Next, M. McCallister discussed a memo about a possible plan to require students to purchase laptops.  She said Ed Kinley of the Office of Information Technology passed out the memo at a recent meeting; the program is based on that at Northern Michigan University, where Kinley says it works well. 

 

She also said one million dollars has been reserved by the University to try to bring salaries up to levels more commensurate with those of comparable institutions.  Of that amount, 280-thousand has been reserved for faculty salaries.  Most of the money would probably go to senior faculty whose salaries have not kept up with those of newer faculty members.  540-thousand is earmarked for support staff, and 180-thousand for EAP.  ISU is forming a presidential level committee to look at benefits; possibility looking for new a prescription plan.  There’s talk at the state level about a statewide HMO. 

 

She also reported Vincennes University has severed ties with ISU, which raises questions about the several hundred VU students here.  The break could have a negative impact.  VU wants to establish four-year programs that duplicate much of what ISU does.  B. Hine noted VU lacks much of the infrastructure to support four-year programs.  M. McCallister responded that the Provost thinks it’s going to happen; it has the support of both major-party gubernatorial candidates.

 

     VII.     Report of the Faculty Senator

 

Rolland McGiverin asked for questions on the report he sent out earlier; there were none. 

 

   VIII.     Remarks from the Library Support Staff Representative

 

Deb Taylor stated Library Support Staff elections have been held; Margaret Pearman will be sitting in on Library Administrative Affairs Committee; Deb Taylor will be sitting in on LFA.  Holli Moseman will be the substitute in case Margaret or Deb cannot attend their assigned meetings.  B. Hine advised adjusting the distribution lists accordingly. 


 

       IX.     Committee Reports

 

A.    Library Administrative Affairs Committee

 

1.     J. Kerico reported that she has been elected chair of LAAC; C. Mehrens is the secretary.  The Committee has set the dates for its next three meetings.  She has filled out the appropriate forms.    

 

2.     Previous charges:  the Committee is working on policies for fines, the USAPATRIOT Act, and computer usage; it is also updating the emergency handbook and library calendar.  B. Hine said she was still working on the logistics of forms. 

 

 

B.    Library Faculty Affairs Committee

 

1.     Previous charges:  A. Kaiser reported for Karen Evans that the Committee is reviewing the Faculty Manual. 

 

2.     New charges:

 

1.      B. Hine said she told K. Evans that the Senate grievance document was approved by the Trustees in January; we need to check our document for conformity; that’s a charge she gives LFAC.  The review needs to be done soon in case Grievance meets.   

 

2.     A charge was also sent to LFAC to review the PTOC draft. 

 

C.    Personnel Committee

 

1.     Lorenzen said the Committee had sent out the dates given by the Administrative Office for materials evaluation.  The Committee won’t meet until the second year evaluations are forwarded to them, probably about October 20th.  The evaluations need to be turned in to the Dean by January 3rd.  Leave of absence applications need to go from the Dean to the Provost by February 1st.  E. Lorenzen said she has due date information for FRPAs and TPAPRs only; she needs to meet with the Dean to discuss sabbatical leaves. 

 

2.     New charges: A charge was sent to Personnel to review the Promotion and Tenure Oversight Committee (PTOC) document draft. 

 


 

      D.  Senate/University Committee reports

 

K. Gaul said the Faculty Economic Benefits Committee (FEBC) is reviewing deadlines for various items.  The Committee had a visit from Candy Barton of Staff Benefits.  Health benefits in 2005 were discussed; it’s hoped the rate increase will be in single digits.  Anthem will take care of prescription drugs.  The Committee has not heard about the statewide HMO.  Pricing will be similar, but we’ll have to have a new ID card. 

 

C. Mehrens said the Arts Endowment Committee met has met; he was appointed chair.  The next meeting will be October 22nd. 

 

B. Hine said she went to the Faculty Affairs Committee meeting yesterday; the Committee is working on appointing faculty to various awards committees.  Issues involving faculty taking courses and obtaining degrees at ISU are also under discussion. 

 

R. McGiverin said the Curriculum and Academic Affairs Committee (CAAC) has met and organized.  It has approved several courses; it is also discussing faculty involvement with preeminence documents. 

 

J. Kerico said at the General Education Council, Deb Worley has been picked to take Jake Jakaitis’ place while he’s on sabbatical. 

 

         X.     Old Business

 

A.    Tracking system/Committee charge form: B. Hine solicited comments on how to improve it.  She said the form will continue to be revised to make it less cumbersome.  As committee members developed charges for themselves, did they find ways to improve the form?  She asked for a motion to approve committee charge form.  J. Kerico made, and D. Kaunelis seconded, the motion.  The motion passed.  B. Hine said we need to get together to  assign numbers to the new charges.  She’s at four charges from the last meeting; we’ll start at five.  The official number will be assigned at a meeting of the LFA or the LEC.  J. Kerico asked if the committees could forward the charges to B. Hine electronically; the answer was yes.  New charges will come to LEC, meeting the week before LFA.  We need to get control of the outstanding charges, Hine said.

 

B.    LFA Web site:  B. Hine said she talked with Systems Head Michael Jarrell, who told her Systems could not help with the LFA Web site.  We need to decide who will do it, in response to the Senate’s request.  D. Kaunelis observed that if the usage will be internal to the library only, maybe our folders will serve the purpose.  Hine suggested everyone look at the Senate’s Web pages.  A general discussion ensued on where the server is and who should maintain the pages.  B. Hine asked if there is a committee where this could logically be assigned.  E. Lorenzen recommended LFAC, since mostly what is needed is a place to keep documentation.  B. Hine suggested LFAC form a subcommittee to look into this.  There will be another charge. 

 

       XI.     New Business

 

A.    Related to Library Faculty issues: none.

 

B.    Related to general library issues

 

A. Comer passed out copies of policies being considered by LAAC this year. 

 

B. Hine said she has copies of charges approved at the last meeting. 

 

The meeting adjourned at 9:22 a.m. 

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Steve Hardin, Secretary