INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Library Faculty Assembly

 

LFA 04/05-12                                                 Approved: September 28, 2005

July 7, 2005, 8:30 a.m.

Room 028

 

Present: Steve Hardin, Betsy Hine, Juliet Kerico, Cinda May (alternate), Christopher

            Mehrens

Absent: Karen Evans, Anthony Kaiser, Dave Kaunelis

Ex-Officio: Myrna McCallister, Alberta Comer, Michelle Boyd

Guests:  Joan Evans, Susan Frey, Kathy Gaul, Marsha Miller, Valentine Muyumba,

            Maribeth Slebodnik

 

 

            I.     Call to order and approval of agenda

 

Chair B. Hine called the meeting to order at 8:33 a.m.

 

          II.     Approval of minutes (LFA 04/05-11, 6/2/05)

 

M. Miller moved, and C. Mehrens seconded, approval of the minutes.  The minutes were approved. 

 

        III.     Recognition Awards previously part of LSG [none submitted]

 

None.

 

       IV.     Chair’s announcements/report

 

B. Hine introduced Susan Frey, who will be Reference/Instruction Librarian and liaison to the College of Business. 

 

Elizabeth Wright has also started as a permanent faculty member. 

 

Amy Jackson will be starting July 18th. 

 

Elections are coming up July 12th  at 2:30 p.m. in LC 230.   We need to elect members of the Library Faculty Assembly, the Personnel Committee and Grievance Committee.  Juliet Kerico asked whether only two persons on Personnel need to be tenured.  B. Hine replied they all need to be tenured.  She added it also seems efficient for the new LFA to meet immediately and elect its new officers. 


 

 

         V.     15-minute open discussion

 

M. Miller remarked it is slightly cooler in the library than it has been. 

 

       VI.     Remarks of the Dean of Library Services

 

M. McCallister reported that the library is looking at a new version of the software that runs the Wabash Valley Visions and Voices project, hoping for a grand opening September 1st.  The Friends of the Library now has a board, and is looking forward to programming.  M. Miller is spearheading efforts for first library book sale the last weekend of October.  We’re gearing up for the Extravaganza September 8th.  Everyone will have something to do for it.  We’ll have a band on the plaza in front of the library, weather permitting, and a grand mystery guest.  We may also celebrate the grand opening of the Honors Program moving to the library; this is not set in stone yet, but it looks good.  The Career Center will have a booth at the Extravaganza; they may have a kiosk in the library to be staffed at certain hours. 

 

The Dean also reported the University has been approached by the Eli Lilly Corporation with a matching grant, and ISU can get up to 2.5-million dollars over the next 18 months.  There will be competition for the money; she hopes the library gets a share. 

 

The campus has selected a council to help with the capital campaign.  The council will talk with potential donors to determine their greatest interests.  She hopes to know by October what library needs will go forward as an issue for the capital campaign. 

 

S. Hardin asked about library printing.  The Dean responded that the administration is looking at ways to accommodate community users, but there won’t be printers just for the students where they can use their print cards the way they can currently in the 24-hour lab.  Instead, there’ll be copy machines that double as printers for 10 cents a page.  All this starts August 1st.  We’ll work out the wording we want to use to explain things to angry students, and get to know where they can print on campus.  She’s been warning the Provost that students won’t like this, but so far, nothing’s been done to address her concerns. 

 

     VII.     Report of the Faculty Senator

 

None. 

 

   VIII.     Remarks from the Library Support Staff Representative

 

None. 

 

       IX.     Committee Reports

 

A.    Library Administrative Affairs Committee

 

J. Kerico reported LAAC will meet tomorrow.  The Committee will look over the emergency manual and make final revisions to it.  A. Comer noted that after the manual is finished, we need to set up a fire drill. 

 

B.    Library Faculty Affairs Committee

 

1.     Verbiage changes in the faculty manual

 

B. Hine noted this has been tabled several times; it was tabled again, but she stated she’d really like to get moving on it.  It’s really nothing too difficult to work with.  Basically, we’re making the document more in line with verbiage in the campus-wide documents.  She plans to suggest it be on the first agenda for the new LFA. 

 

 

C.    Personnel Committee

 

No report. 

 

D.    Senate/University Committee reports

 

No reports. 

 

         X.     Old Business

 

A.    PTOC document

 

B. Hine noted we had a document from the Promotion and Tenure Oversight Committee; the procedures are changing slightly and we have to bring our document into line with the University promotion and tenure document. 

 

She added that PTOC will probably meet again in September.  We need to make our draft and send it to the committee; the Committee will send it back to us. 

 

M. Miller noted that much of what was there in earlier versions is still there; it’s just rearranged.  There are still some incomplete sentences and blank parts for things we didn’t know how to finish. 

 

B. Hine said this document addresses the fact that in some cases the Library doesn’t have departmental committees; in some cases the department is only one person. 

 

M. Miller said the differences between most academic departments and departments in libraries are enunciated in the document.  They’re obvious except to a couple of people in the University administration. 

 

B. Hine added that the differences may result in the document being sent back to us by PTOC.  We need to have discussions about that. 

 

The Assembly then went through the document:

 

1.     For Section III.A.1. Terminal Degree, there was discussion about “The master's degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association or its equivalent (e.g., Canadian Library Association) is the appropriate terminal professional degree for academic librarians.”  What does “equivalent” mean?  What is the terminal degree?  Do we need to specify an MLS or an MSLIS?  What about someone with a PhD in computer science?  On M. Miller’s suggestion, a decision was made to write a second paragraph in the section to cover the questions. 

 

2.     For III.A.2. Criteria for Library Faculty Ranks

 

a.      B. Hine noted the only real change is the deletion of the rank of “Senior Assistant Librarian.” 

 

b.     Under the area for Associate Librarian is an ALA model statement: “Promotion to this rank shall require evidence of substantial professional contributions to the library and to the institution as well as attainment of a high level in bibliographical activities, in research, or in other professional endeavors.”  B. Hine said the intention is to make this statement part of the document. 

 

3.     Under III.A.3. Full Tenure Granted at Time of Appointment, there was discussion on part b), “the Library Faculty must unanimously recommend appointment with tenure.”  After determining that the “unanimous” does not come from the University Handbook (see Handbook III-4), the Assembly recommended that part b) be eliminated. 


4.     Under III.A.7. Definitions, discussion ensued about the section on Research/creativity in Librarianship.  There was a recommendation that we include a line about “emerging and creative areas of librarianship.”  The rewritten paragraph will be sent out for comment. 

 

5.     Under III.A.8. The Link Between Tenure And Promotion, on a recommendation from C. Mehrens, the last sentence in the third paragraph will be changed to read: “However, the roles of research/scholarship and service should also be considered, in order to demonstrate a balanced approach to the advancement of the discipline.” 

 

6.     Under III.A.12. Indications Of Continuing Achievement, Assembly recommended the third proposed paragraph, beginning with “Service,” be eliminated because the verbiage below constitutes the definitions of service this paragraph was to make. 

 

7.     Under III.A.14. Review Materials, under the list of means in making the evaluation, there was discussion about the last item, “Consultation with Library faculty and support staff.”  Questions were raised about the appropriateness of consultation with support staff in this context. 

 

It is understood there will be further revisions to the PTOC document.  The document was tabled for this meeting.  Revisions will be made and put forth for comment.  It is hoped this process will be finished in time for the University committee to receive the library’s document in time for PTOC’s September meeting. 

 

B.    Emergency Manual

 

The Manual will be discussed next time. 

 

       XI.     New Business

 

A.    Related to Library Faculty issues

 

1.     Mentors for new faculty

 

Susan Frey needs to talk with the Dean; M. Miller strongly recommended Elizabeth Wright get a mentor too.  Even though she’s worked in the library for nearly a year, she has not been on the tenure track until now.  Amy Jackson starts July 18th. 


 

B.    Related to general library issues

 

      None. 

 

     XII.     Adjournment

 

The meeting was adjourned at 1031 a.m.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Steve Hardin, Secretary