INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Cunningham Memorial Library

Library Faculty Assembly

 

LFA 06/07-11†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Approved:

7/5//07

Room 028

 

Present: Karen Evans, Susan Frey, Kathy Gaul, Steve Hardin, Betsy Hine, Juliet Kerico,

Rolland McGiverin

Ex-Officio: Alberta Comer, Michelle Boyd, Marsha Miller

Guests: Barb Austin, Deb Considine, Bev Grubb, Carol Jinbo, Margaret Pearman, Ryan Weir

 

I.                 Call to Order and Approval of Agenda

 

Chair R. McGiverin called the meeting to order at 3:04 p.m.He submitted a change to the agenda, to include the awards presentation (II. below).B. Hine moved, and M. Miller seconded, approval of the agenda.The agenda was approved 6-0-0.

 

II.               Awards (added)

 

B. Austin gave out awards for all who helped with Sycamore Advantage this year: Deb Considine, Karen Evans, Steve Hardin, Betsy Hine, Anthony Kaiser, Valentine Muyumba, Margaret Pearman, Chris Robinson Nkongola, Wilma Turetzky and Abby Wright.B. Austin said the volunteers gave out more than 1400 bags at Sycamore Advantage this year.

 

III.             Approval of Minutes (LFA 06/07-10, May 17, 2007)

 

B. Hine moved, and K. Gaul seconded, approval of the minutes. The minutes were approved 6-0-0.

 

IV.            Chairís Announcements/Reports

 

R. McGiverin congratulated K. Evans on receiving tenure and promotion.He also congratulated M. Miller on her re-election to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.He reminded faculty members about the retreat coming up July 31st at 9:00 a.m.†† He also announced the following personsí names have been forwarded to the Dean for possible service on the Education Librarian Search Committee:Shelley Arvin, Kathy Gaul, Tim Gritten, Betsy Hine, and Marsha Miller.


 

V.              Remarks of the Associate Dean of Library Services

 

A. Comer said the Strategic Planning Committee has been meeting; members gave a report last week.Reaction has been positive.At todayís meeting, members discussed how they want to present to LFA the changes theyíre proposing.

 

VI.            Remarks from Library Support Staff

 

M. Boyd has not report.

 

VII.          15-Minute Open Discussion

 

None.

 

VIII.        Old Business

 

None.

 

IX.            New Business

 

A.    Writing Center

 

R. McGiverin reviewed the highlights of the document outlining how the Writing Center in the Library will operate.It will be the main Writing Center; the English Department will maintain a satellite facility for the 2007-2008 academic year in Root Hall.B. Hine moved to accept the document; M. Miller seconded.During the discussion, B. Hine noted the document stated that the Library will provide a half-time Writing Center Supervisor for the Cunningham facility.Will the time lost to whatever library department provides the Supervisor be made up by an increase in student hours?She prefers the document to say something along the lines of the hours lost to the department will be compensated by a combination of support staff realignment and an increase in student hours.R. McGiverin asked whether the English Department currently has a half-time person supervising the Center. ††A. Comer said she didnít think anyone would be losing his or her job over this. J. Kerico asked that if the arrangement changes later, would the library get a half-time person in compensation.M. Miller noted the Provost has said the Writing Center will be funded by the University and will continue to exist, because it serves people from many departments and curricula.Even though it resides in English, itís really not a program limited to the English Department.R. McGiverin asked whether the Library would get compensation if the English Department Writing Center closes.A. Comer said funding for supervision for the Center in Root Hall isnít coming out of Library funds, so it doesnít affect our budget.J. Kerico said maybe weíre looking too far down the road.As business for the Writing Center picks up, they may have to look at expanding staffing.Maybe after a year we could lobby for a full time Writing Center person.B. Hine said we may want to revisit this a year from now.K. Gaul moved that the LAAC revisit the issue after a year, when we have usage statistics, for the purpose of assessing staffing needs.S. Frey seconded the amendment to the original motion.The amendment passed 7-0-0 (one more member arrived since the previous vote).The main motion passed 6-0-1.

 

B.    Recognition of faculty who earn tenure

 

R. McGiverin reiterated his congratulations to K. Evans for receiving tenure and promotion.He wondered whether we need a program to recognize faculty that have received tenure.M. Miller and K. Evans will informally discuss what could be done.

 

C.    Recognition award for faculty

 

R. McGiverin noted librarians donít have a counterpart to the teaching award.Do we need a recognition process for the achievements of faculty throughout the year?B. Hine noted we recognize students and support staff, but thereís no faculty award.K. Evans volunteered to check what other libraries do and report back to LFA.S. Hardin said it would be extra work for whoever organizes the celebration.R. McGiverin said the presentation could be done as part of the fall or spring meeting.

 

X.              Committee Reports

 

A.    Library Administrative Affairs Committee

 

R. McGiverin said the committee continues to meet.It is working on travel policy.B. Hine said it might be good for LAAC to discuss allotting more than $500 for tenured faculty members who are still on track for promotion.S. Hardin said nothing has been decided yet.M. Miller asked whether the Committee has travel funding data from previous years.M. Boyd said the Committee dropped that consideration because itís irrelevant; we need to work with the money we have now.

 

B.    Library Faculty Affairs Committee

 

The Committee has finished its work for the year.

 

C.    Personnel Committee

 

No report.

 

D.    Search Committees

 

The new humanities librarian has been announced: Jacob Eubanks.A new committee will search for an education librarian.It hasnít met yet.

 

E.     Senate/University Committees

 

No reports.

 

XI.            Remarks of the Faculty Senators

 

M. Miller said one major issue has been resolved.Senators have not been meeting regularly, but there have been email communications.Harriet Hudson was appointed to the Executive Committee, but now has been appointed an Associate Dean.That makes her an administrator, so now assignments need to be rearranged.

 

XII.          Adjournment

 

K. Evans moved, and M. Miller seconded, adjournment.The meeting adjourned at 3:43 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Steve Hardin

Secretary