INDIANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Cunningham Memorial Library

Library Faculty Assembly

 

LFA 07/08-09†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Approved:

May 28, 2008; 3:15 (rescheduled for June 23, 2008 at 2:00 (following spring faculty meeting)

Room 028

 

Present: Susan Frey, Kathy Gaul, Steve Hardin, Betsy Hine, Rolland McGiverin, Marsha Miller, Valentine Muyumba,

Ex-Officio: Alberta Comer, Ryan Weir

Guests: Tim Gritten

 

I.                 Call to Order (2:20) and Approval of Agenda:Add item for Visiting Catalog Librarian in New Business:Approved unanimously as amended.

 

II.               Approval of Minutes (LFA) Approved unanimously as distributed.

 

III.             Chairís Announcements/Reports: Spring Faculty Meeting was held just prior to this meeting and the faculty approved LFA annual reports and recognized Karen Evans and Alberta Comer for getting tenure.LFA elections will be in mid-August.LFA will meet in July only if necessary.

 

IV.            Old Business:

 

††††††††††† LFA Web Page; Moved to accept (MM/SRH). Discussion included when did Writing Center become a part of Reference?, general webpage comments Ė Tim will be the one keeping this information up to date once the persons in charge of the particular area notify him. Motion passed unanimously.

 

††††††††††† LFA tracking form; LFA will post the tracking form and charges and they should be kept up to date as charges are worked on. Previously the LFA Vice Chair kept the tracking forms up dated.

†††††††††††

††††††††††† Collection Development policy document; Moved to accept(MM/SRH). Discussion included adding a section on special initiatives (such as Books on Demand) so that we donít have to add something every time we add something like that; adding a statement such as CCC will meet with the Collection Development liaisons at least once a year before the new FY to discussion collection development priorities, fund codes, etc. (Alberta will make sure this happens as part of the CCC procedures).These are both more procedural and wonít be included in the policy.Motion passed unanimously.

 

††††††††††† Administrative policy documents: Chair didnít get these from Anthony so we cannot consider these at this meeting.

 

V.              New Business: Visiting Cataloging Librarian for RBSC (temporary):Position description will be sent to Faculty. It has been reviewed and approved by LAAC and Dept. Heads.

 

VI.            Remarks of the Dean of Library Services:The Interim dean read the following statement.

 

The flood that occurred in early June affected many library employees, causing damage to cars, homes, and personal effects within those homes. And how did the library respond? Library personnel opened their own homes to their colleagues, taking in not only people but pets as well. As waters subsided and library employees realized the extent of damage to their personal property, employees stepped up and helped with the physical cleanup and removal of the flood damaged furniture, carpet, etc. Homemade meals were sent to those in need, encouraging e-mails and phone calls were made, and many other kindnesses were extended. When the campus asked for financial support for university personnel affected by the floods, the first person to contribute in the library was one of our own employees who had been significantly affected by flood damage. I would like this read into the record so that we can, all of us together, commemorate the caring and sharing we have had for each other during this difficult time.

 

VII.          Remarks from Library Support Staff: NR

 

VIII.        15-Minute Open Discussion: Marsha noted that we should recognize Betsy Hineís receipt of the Presidentís Medallion; Question was asked regarding Myrnaís return to ISU July1; Response: terms are still under negotiation.

 

IX.            Committee Reports

 

A.    Library Administrative Affairs Committee: last meeting approved Visiting Cataloging Librarian position.

B.    Library Faculty Affairs Committee: They have been working on charges; PTOC document is very important to finish up.Rolland will be going off that committee.

C.    Personnel Committee: NR

D.    Search Committees: Circ Head is nearing an end; Digital Repository search is beginning the telephone interview stage; New Electronic Resources Librarian begins July 1.

E.     Senate/University Committees: Rolland reported that CAAC will be meeting this week; no other committees are meeting in the summer.††

 

X.              Remarks of the Faculty Senators: NR

 

XI.            Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned at 3:00

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Betsy Hine, Secretary