The training School Building was originally built for the purpose of housing the training school or the "model school" as it was then called. It was erected in 1905 and afforded opportunities for observation and practice in both elementary and high school grades. During this time the pupils of the training school used the gymnasium, vocational, and library facilities of the College. As the college grew and the addition of the new Laboratory School was made possible, this branch of training was transferred to the new building. The name of the building was officially changed to Stalker Hall by the Teachers College Board in tribute to the memory of Francis Marion Stalker, who was for many years a member of the faculty of the Department of Education.
When the building was vacated by the removal of the Training School, the classes of the College were reorganized; and Stalker Hall became the home of the Departments of Education and Social Studies. Part of the basement of Stalker Hall was given over to the maintenance of a day nursery, and the classrooms of the building were used frequently for adult education classes sponsored by the College.
Ralph O. Yeager
Nehf Hardware & Electric Co., Terre Haute
2000-Elevators added, facade added to south entrance of building
Second university building to bear the name Stalker Hall
Originally called the Education & Social Studies Building (1953), the building was renamed Stalker Hall in 1966 in honor of Francis Marion Stalker, member of the Faculty from 1892-1929. The building houses the College of Arts and Sciences and a number of classrooms.