If you haven’t been following this story, newspapers and publications falling under the umbrella of Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation (NWS) are involved in a scandal in which employees hacked into voicemails and private medical records of important public officials, crime victims, and families of terrorist victims. Other illegal and unethical allegations involve bribing policemen. The scandal is primarily located in Great Britain but the News Corporation holdings extend worldwide. So far, the scandal has resulted in the closing of a large British newspaper tabloid and the resignation of key administrators and officials. All because of unethical information gathering strategies.
Strauss, G., Puente, M. and Krantz, K. (2011 July 11). For Murdoch’s empire, a scandal of its own. USA Today
Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals
SCIP Code of Ethics for CI Professionals
- To continually strive to increase the recognition and respect of the profession.
- To comply with all applicable laws, domestic and international.
- To accurately disclose all relevant information, including one’s identity and organization, prior to all interviews.
- To avoid conflicts of interest in fulfilling one’s duties.
- To provide honest and realistic recommendations and conclusions in the execution of one’s duties.
- To promote this code of ethics within one’s company, with third-party contractors and within the entire profession.
- To faithfully adhere to and abide by one’s company policies, objectives and guidelines.