For the first time, all Library Student Assistant awards moved to the University’s online scholarship system, the Branch, and we have confirmed that all six outstanding students selected for honors this year have officially accepted their library scholarship awards!
2017 Myrl O. Wilkinson Scholarship recipients:
- Gracey Patton, Technical Services – Vickie Magill, supervisor
- Haley Smith, Special Collections – Kendra McCrea, supervisor
2017 Hildegard Pang Library Endowment recipients:
- Wesley Pershing, Public Services – Paula Huey, supervisor
- Natalie Shanks, Technical Services – Debra Taylor, supervisor
2017 Swearingen Family Scholarship recipients:
- Becca McGregor, Administration – Erin Harmon, supervisor
- Jenny Pitts, Public Services – Paula Huey, supervisor
The library will hold a staff reception on April 26 for the students. Every CML student assistant who will receive a degree from ISU during calendar year 2017 (whether in May, August or December) will also receive a gift from the Dean at this event.
Promotion to Full Librarian – Cinda May, Chair, Special Collections
- Congratulations to our faculty colleague who was approved for promotion! Cinda May has been promoted to full librarian effective July 1.
Promotion to Associate Librarian with Tenure – Natalie Bulick, Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
- Congratulations to our faculty colleague who was approved for promotion and tenure. Natalie Bulick has been promoted to associate librarian and awarded tenure effective July 1.
Sabbatical Leave Approved – Susan Frey, Acting Supervisor in Special Collections/Coordinator of Strategic Initiatives
- Provost Licari has granted approval for Susan’s sabbatical leave, pending approval by the Board of Trustees, for July 1-Dec. 31, 2017.
Articles Published – Steve Hardin, Reference/Instruction Librarian
- Steve published two articles in the February/March issue of the Bulletin of the Association for Information Science & Technology. The first is titled “Bridging the Telepresence Valley: Greg Welch Speaks” pp.39-41. ARTICLE LINK . The second is titled “Text and Data Mining Meets the Pharmaceutical Industry: Markus Bundschus Speaks” pp. 42-44. ARTICLE LINK.
Article Published – Melissa Gustafson, Electronic Resources Librarian
- Melissa published her article “Critical Pedagogy in Libraries: A Unified Approach” in the inaugural issue of the Journal of Critical Library and Information Studies. ARTICLE LINK
ACRL Information Literacy Immersion Program – Karen Evans, Reference/Instruction Librarian
- Karen has been selected to participate in the Association for College & Research Libraries (ACRL) Information Literacy Program this summer. A highly competitive program, the Immersion complements the work we have undertaken as a library to incorporate information literacy in the curriculum. Karen serves as co-chair of the ISU Foundational Studies task force Informed Learning across the Sycamore Community.
Campaign Captain ISU Faculty & Staff Campaign – Ali Moorhead, Budget Specialist (Library Administration)
- This year’s faculty and staff fundraising campaign began March 1st and runs through April 7th. Campaign captains help advocate for support for our students, programs and other important campus initiatives. Ali Moorhead is one of the campaign captains this year.
For the second year, instead of exchanging gifts, Tech Services staff opted to buy toys for the “Toys for Tots” program. We were one of several drop-off site on campus and it was a huge success. We gathered 42 toys for the Marines’ annual toy drive. They came to pick them up on Dec. 9th.
They wanted to know if we wanted to be a collection site again next year and we told them YES! They remembered us from last year!
Many thanks to everyone who helped make the holidays brighter for children in our community!