Multicultural Services and Program’s Conversation Corner is dedicated to starting conversations about hard to talk about topics.
6pm Monday February 12, Library Events Area
02/05/2017 – Paragraph 175 Film & Discussion (6:00-8:00 pm) Library Events Area
Shortly after the Nazis became the only legal party in the Third Reich, homosexual men and women became the target of police raids and interrogation. Under a section of the existing 1871 German Penal code, known as Paragraph 175, made sexual acts between men a punishable act. In 1935, the Nazi regime revised the Paragraph 175 to make homosexuality illegal. This film follows the personal stories of gay men and women who survived Nazi persecution. Dorothy Chambers, from C.A.N.D.L.E.S. Museum, will lead the discussion.
Celebrate National Handwriting Day at Cunningham Memorial Library
DO you take notes on a laptop, or by hand? Studies of college-aged students show that writing by hand is a big benefit over typing notes into your laptop.
Did you know that your signature is unique?
Did you know that many bloggers and writers believe that writing by hand connects them to their emotions and inner self in a way that keyboards can’t?
National Handwriting Day is associated with Jan. 23 (John Hancock’s birthday), the man with the famously large signature on the Declaration of Independence, and to highlight the importance of writing by hand.
Stop by the library lobby to help celebrate this day with Theresa Ortega “The Handwriting Sensei”:
Ø Get fun tips for writing more,
Ø Learn why it’s better for you to write by hand,
Take a selfie with your own handwriting, share it and see efforts worldwide on social media for International Handwriting Week. Tuesday, Jan. 23 Cunningham Memorial Library Lobby 11:00am – 1:00pm
DOES THE LIBRARY HAVE BOOKS ON HANDWRITING?
- BF891 .H814 Handwriting in psychological interpretations by Arthur G. Holt.
- BF 891 .B833 1979 Handwriting analysis : the science of determining personality by graphoanalysis by M. N. Bunker.
- BF891 .H814 Handwriting in psychological interpretations, by Arthur G. Holt.
- BF891 .R69 The science of handwriting analysis; a guide to character and personality.
- BF905 .C5S6 1978 Knowing your child through his handwriting and drawings by Shirl Solomon.
- DA670.E7 A17 no.21 Examples of English handwriting, 1150-1750; with transcripts and translations. Grieve, Hilda E. P.
- LB1576 .B487 2007 Best practices in writing instruction – edited by Steve Graham, Charles A. MacArthur, Jill Fitzgerald.
- LB1536 .B85 Improving handwriting instruction in elementary schools.
- LB1590 .L3 Handwriting : I. Instruction in handwriting in Ontario schools : II. Handwriting : an annotated bibliography – Stephen B. Lawton, principal investigator, A. Blaine Currie.
- LB1590 .W4 Changing practice in handwriting instruction : suggestions and discussion based upon a survey of present practices and problems by Paul V. West.
- PE1011 .S6 no.23 English handwriting, with thirty-four facsimile plates and artistic & paleographical criticisms by Roger Fry & E. A. Lowe.
- PE1143 .N3 Research on handwriting and spelling; a research bulletin prepared by a committee of the National Conference on Research in English.
- Z 40 .T46 1996 Handwriting in America : a cultural history by Tamara Plakins Thornton.
- Z43 .H36 2000 Handwriting research and resources : a guide to curriculum planning.
- Z43 .S6 Improve your handwriting.
- Z43 .S7x Our handwriting, If you’re dissatisfied with the way you write and would like to do something about it, you may want to join the international group now studying the best writing manual known, published in 1522. Standard, Paul
- Z113 .T17 The handwriting of the renaissance, Tannenbaum, Samuel Aaron
- Z 40 .T46 1996 Reading early American handwriting by Kip Sperry.
- Z43 .D264 Elizabethan handwriting, 1500-1650; a manual by Giles E. Dawson and Laetitia Kennedy-Skipton.
- Special Collections – Reference Z115.A5 S64 1998 Reading early American handwriting / Kip Sperry.
- Special Collections – Reference Z115.U5 K5 The handwriting of American records for a period of 300 years. By E. Kay Kirkham.
- Special Collections – Reference Z42 .H25 1979s The signature of America : a fresh look at famous handwriting / by Charles Hamilton.
- Marion Richardson : Her Life and Her Contribution to Handwriting / Sassoon, Rosemary.
- Handwriting : the way to teach it / Rosemary Sassoon.
- Imprint and Trace : Handwriting in the Age of Technology
- Signature for success: how to analyze handwriting and improve your career, your relationships, and your life / Arlyn Imberman with June Rifkin.
- Handwriting of the Twentieth Century
- Handwriting problems in the secondary school
- Sign here! : handwriting in the age of new media / edited by Sonja Neef, José Van Dijck, Eric Ketelaar.
CHILDREN’S BOOKS/EDUCATIONAL – PRINT
- Cursive handwriting / by Jan Z. Olsen.
- Zaner-Bloser handwriting : a way to self-expression / senior authors, Clinton S. Hackney, Virginia H. Lucas.
- Italic handwriting & calligraphy for the beginner : a craft manual / Charles Lehman.
- Interpreting handwriting / Jane Paterson.
- Graphology : a guide to handwriting analysis / by Thomas G. Aylesworth.
- Cursive success / by Jan Z. Olsen
CHILDREN’S BOOKS/EDUCATIONAL – E-BOOKS
- Handwriting problems in the secondary school
- Handwriting : the way to teach it
Library Events Area ~ 3:30-6:30pm
As a part of International Education Week 2017, the Center for Global Engagement is having International Day at Indiana State.
The expo will include the following nations: Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Japan, Liberia, Mexico, Nigeria, India, Great Britain, Brazil, Switzerland, Zanzibar, Zimbabwe, Ukraine and Saudi Arabia.