OVGTSL: Call for ProposalsIndiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
May 18-20, 2015
Description: Library technologies evolve at a rapid rate, and require continual assessment and adaptation of services. Yet, technical services librarians meet these challenges and develop innovative ways to recreate services for the information needs of library users. You are cordially invited to come and share with others how you are using emerging technologies to reinvent services at your library.
Proposal Information: The Conference Program Committee invites forward thinking submissions in all areas related to technical services librarianship: acquisitions, cataloging, serials, electronic resources, and preservation in academic, public, and special libraries. Participants are strongly encouraged to think about emerging technologies and how technical services librarians are reinventing services, within technical services and in the library as a whole. Topics of interest include but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership in technical services
- Collaboration within and outside the library
- Emerging roles for technical services/technical services librarians
- New staffing models in technical services
- Metadata: creation, reuse, and interoperability
- Integration of metadata with traditional cataloging workflow
- Authority control
- The catalog: what is its future?
- Meeting the challenges of RDA implementation
- Special formats cataloging
- Increasing costs and shrinking budgets: meeting financial challenges
- Patron-driven acquisitions and services
- Vendor relations with technical services
- Managing the collections: de-selection and inventory
- Linked data publishing and applications
- Local documentation practices
- Managing government documents: access and de-selection issues
- Cloud-based solutions in technical services
- Digital library projects
- Digital object curation and preservation
- Network level data management
- Role of technical services in open access and scholarly communication
- Open source tools and platforms in technical services
Participants are invited to submit proposals that address emerging trends, report on recent research, or demonstrate new services, projects, and tools. Time slots for all sessions are 50 minutes in length; this time includes the presentation itself and questions from the audience. Submissions will also be accepted for lightning rounds and round tables. Submit the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 15, 2014:
- Title of presentation
- Abstract (no longer than 250 words)
- Names, affiliations, and contact information of all presenters
- Primary contact for presenters
- Format (presentation, lightning round, round tables)
- Equipment and other special needs
All proposals are reviewed for acceptance by committee.
Presenters will be notified of proposal acceptance by February 1, 2015.
For more information contact Natalie Bulick, vice-chair, Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians.
About OVGSTL The Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians (OVGSTL) was founded in 1924 and draws its members from the states of Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. The annual conference rotates among these three states on a regular basis. Membership is open to anyone interested in library technical services.