Cunningham Memorial Library | Your Campus Living Room
Instructions for Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources
The ISU Library uses Ezproxy to allow remote connections to databases and resources normally restricted to the ISU Campus.
You will need your Sycamore Login and Password to access resources off campus. If you have never logged into your Sycamore account, go to: http://myisu.indstate.edu to find information about accessing it so you can create your username and password.
If you have any difficulties with your Sycamore Login/Password, please contact the IT Help Desk at email@example.com or toll-free at 1-888-818-5465 or at (812) 237-2910.
Troubleshooting Problems with Access to Databases and Electronic Journals
- Only currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff may access resources through the EZproxy server.
- Make sure your caps lock key is not enabled causing a problem with your password.
- If you have personal firewall or Internet security software installed on your computer, it may be interfering with your ability to connect to resources through the EZproxy server. Please temporarily disable your firewall and test whether you can obtain access to these resources. At a minimum, please enable port 2048 in your firewall so information can be exchanged with the EZproxy server.
- Delete your browser's cache files.
v. 6.x/7.x: Go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options. Click on the Delete Files button. Click OK. Click on Settings. Click in the Every visit to page radio button. Click OK.
v. 8.x: Go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options. Click on the Delete button. Check the box next to Temporary Internet Files. Click on the Delete button. Click OK.
v. 4.x:Click on the "gear symbol" in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on Reset Safari. Make sure that the boxes next to "Clear history," "Empty the cache," and "Remove all cookies" are selected. If you wish to retain any other information, e.g., saved passwords, make sure that the box next to those items are not checked. This operation cannot be undone, so make your selections carefully. Click on reset.
v. 3.x:Click on Tools in menu of links in the upper left corner of the browser window. Click on Clear Private Data.
- Set your browser so that it accepts cookies.
v. 6.x/7.x/8.x : Go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options. Click on the Privacy tab. Click Advanced. Make sure that Accept First-Party Cookies and Accept Third-Party Cookies are selected. If not, click on Override automatic cookie handling and then select Accept for First-Party Cookies and Third-Party Cookies. Click OK.
v. 4.x:Click on the "gear symbol" in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on Preferences. Click on the Security tab. Next to Accept Cookies, click on Always.
v. 3.x:Click on Tools in the menu of links in the upper left corner of the browser window. Click on Options. Click on the Privacy tab. Click on the boxes next to Accept cookies from sites and Accept third-party cookies, making sure that both boxes are marked. Click Ok.
v. 6.x/7.x/8.x: Go to the Tools menu and choose Internet Options. Click on the Security tab. Click on Internet. Click on the Custom Level button. Scroll down to the Scripting section. Click in the Enable radio button under Active Scripting if this is not selected. Click OK.
- EZproxy is not compatible with the Opera browser.
- Users of AOL, Compuserve, and other ISPs with proprietary browsers should NOT use the browser that came with their Internet service. Instead, please use Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Safari in order to access resources through the EZproxy server.
- The NetZero HiSpeed service works with proxy by hostname using port 80, but it does not work with proxy by port and may not work with proxy by hostname using ports other than 80.
In most instances, an icon has appeared in the system tray in the lower-right corner of the screen which contains an option to disable HiSpeed. Using this option enables service for most users.
There have been reports of users for whom this did not work. For those users, the following instructions have provided a work-around:
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Go to Tools | Internet Options...
- Click on the Connections tab
- Scroll through the Dial-up settings to locate NetZero, then click on NetZero and click Settings...
- Under Proxy Server, click Advanced...
- In Exceptions, scroll to the end of the list, then type a semi-colon (;) followed by just the host name of the EZproxy server (panther.indstate.edu). All the other sample entries have an asterisk (*) in front, and although it won't hurt, that isn't required for this entry. Do not include the port number.
- Keep hitting OK until all the windows close and you are back in Internet Explorer. At this point, access to EZproxy should be restored.
- Some RoadRunner users have reported that they have problems accessing resources through the EZproxy server if they use Internet Explorer. If you find this to be the case, please download Netscape and attempt to conduct your research with this browser.
If you continue to have problems accessing information through the EZproxy server, please contact the library at (812) 237-2580. Please be prepared to give the librarian the following information:
- Internet Service Provider or ISP (i.e. AOL, Earthlink, etc.)
- Browser type and version
- When you encountered the problem
- What resource you were attempting to access
- Can you access other campus resources with your Sycamore Login and Password?